Reduce your flood risk this spring
Spring is typically the wettest time of year, with melting snow and frequent rain for several weeks. Reduce the risk of a spring flood around your home with these tips.
- Remove snow from around the foundation and clear the areas around window wells.
- Clear eavestroughs and downspouts. Repair leaks and make sure water can flow off your roof and away from your foundation and basement windows towards the street or backyard.
- Make sure your sump pump and/or backflow valves are working properly before the snow begins to melt.
- Clear drainage ditches and culverts of all debris to keep water flowing into sewers.
- Wait until the possibility of frost has passed before re-opening valves to outside water hose connections to avoid pipes freezing and bursting.
- Make sure the land around your home slopes away from the foundation.
- Check that your sidewalks, patios, decks and driveway haven’t shifted to cause water to drain back towards your house.
- Take stock of the items in your basement and consider moving valuable items to a higher area.